The Cook I prepares food in accordance with company standards and federal, state, and local standards, guidelines, and regulations to ensure that quality nutritional services are provided on a daily basis and that the culinary services are maintained in a clean, safe, and sanitary manner.RESPONSIBILITIES
- Prepares and serves all products and meals so they are palatable and appetizing in appearance by following planned menus and using the recipe cards.
- Ensures timely and efficient meal service by preparing food in accordance with quality standards, sanitary regulations, and established policies and procedures.
- Stocks and maintains sufficient levels of food products at line stations to ensure a smooth service period.
- Portions food products prior to cooking according to standard portion sizes, recipe specifications, and portion control procedures.
- Reviews production for raw quantities to prepare and estimate required portions.
- Informs supervisor immediately of product shortages.
- Communicates inventory of leftover foods to supervisor for integrating into weekly menu.
- Handles, stores, and rotates all products properly.
- Assists in maintaining department work areas and equipment in a clean and safe manner by participating in cleaning duties, following sanitation schedule, and disposing of food and waste properly for tables, shelves, walls, grills, broilers, fryers, pasta cookers, sauté burners, convection oven, flat top range, and refrigeration equipment.
- Refers to daily prep list and opening checklist at the start of each shift and the closing checklist for the end of each shift for assigned duties to complete.
- Assists with executing catering needs and special events.
- Assists departmental leadership in development of cooking staff with training and coaching as directed.
- In the absence of supervisor, assumes the responsibility of food production operations.
Quality, Compliance, and Risk Management
- Ensures food production of consistently high quality food, always delivering and presenting a quality plate every time.
- Ensures that the resident’s individual needs are met by following special diet orders and serving food in accordance with established portion control procedures.
- Ensures that culinary services work areas and equipment are maintained in a clean and sanitary manner.
- Ensures that established quality assurance, infection control, and universal precaution practices are maintained when performing dietary procedures.
- Willingly and consistently shares observations and insights of departmental operations that may improve quality and efficiencies of department.
- Attends all-employee and departmental meetings and in-service training as scheduled or as directed.
Customer Relations and Service Delivery
- Listens and responds to the needs of residents and staff members.
- Maintains the confidentiality of resident care information.
Administration and Reporting
- Maintains current and accurate records through use of computers and/or other documentation in accordance with company standards and federal, state, and local standards, guidelines, and regulations.
- Maintains production orders and usage logs.
All other duties as assigned.QUALIFICATIONS
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
- One year quantity and/or restaurant-style cooking experience required.
- Knowledge of cooking methods and food and catering trends with focus on quality, production, sanitation, and presentation required.
- Experience in food cost and operational control preferred.
- Proficiency with Point of Sale (POS) and diet management software preferred.
- Must be able to read, write, speak, and understand the English language.
Ohio Living Breckenridge Village is Willoughby’s premier life plan community. Services include long-term nursing care, memory care, short-term rehabilitation, outpatient therapy and assisted living. The campus also offers independent living apartments, ranch homes and brownstones. Most importantly, we’re a company that:
- chooses to operate as a faith-based, not-for-profit organization
- makes its mission the heart of our organization
- has a reputation for consistently exceeding the needs and expectations of those we serve
- provides an engaging, team-oriented workplace dedicated to career, family and faith
- commits to recognizing our employees for a job well done
We’re looking for people who:
- have a passion for helping people, solving problems and contributing to a positive work environment
- are excited about bringing their personal standards and ideals to work each day
- understand that HOW you do your job is just as important as WHAT you do in your job
Why work at Ohio Living Breckenridge Village?
Our residents and employees have access to the Veale Wellness Center, Mahan Cultural Arts Center, and nature trails throughout our park-like campus. Depending on an employee’s status, they may benefit from:
- competitive wages
- affordable medical, dental, and vision insurance
- 403b retirement savings
- paid time off including your birthday
- training, continuing education, and education assistance
- pay advances up to $500
- free meals/meal allowance
- the latest technology
- subsidized child care at Clapp Children’s Center
- unlimited career opportunities
- and much more!
Who is Ohio Living?
Headquartered in Columbus, Ohio Living is one of the nation’s largest not-for-profit, multi-site senior living organizations. Since its founding in 1922, Ohio Living has defined the highest standards of quality of life for adults through its 12 life plan communities and Ohio Living Home Health & Hospice in 50 Ohio counties.
Our mission is to provide adults with caring and quality services toward the enhancement of
physical, mental and spiritual well-being consistent with the Christian Gospel.
Our Values:Care Integrity Customer ServiceInnovation Financial Stewardship Leadership