The Staff Accountant is responsible for carrying out assigned accounting responsibilities in the VOANR financial service area. This will include various facets of general accounting, grant accounting, budgeting, and other designated fiscal services functions such as financial reporting, compliance, audit preparation/support, and financial analysis/decision support. This position will participate in VOANR accounting and fiscal service functions on a professional level working closely with organizational leaders, program managers, and other members of the finance team. This position carries out responsibilities in the following functional areas: accounting, budgeting, auditing, and compliance.
- Maintain the level of knowledge necessary to effectively perform organizational financial service activities while adhering to sound internal control protocol, federal/state regulatory requirements, Volunteers of America Northern Rockies policies, and grantor or donor contract requirements and intentions.
- Perform general accounting, budgeting, and other related duties in the finance department.
- Perform accounting duties associated with assigned grants and contract funding sources.
- Compile periodic (monthly) profit and loss statements for programs and various assigned projects.
- Coordinate accounting processes, as assigned, in designated financial service areas.
- Produce program reports and other accounting tools needed to support organizational decisions and financial reporting.
- Analyze program reports, general ledger activity, and monthly expense allocations for reasonableness and accuracy according to standard accounting principles.
- Train program leaders and staff on financial issues and work with program staff on the flow of needed information.
- Monitor expenditure activity to ensure compliance with internal control policies while securing all required authorizations.
- Monitor for inappropriate expenditures or security threats and immediately inform appropriate Finance Directors and/or the VP of Finance of concerns.
- Perform analytics to understand variances and act on errors detected or discrepancies.
- Compile organizational statistics for decision support and budget preparation.
- Monitor aged receivables and payables reports to ensure timely reimbursement and payment.
- Maintain an excellent level of comprehension surrounding Microsoft Office tools, Excel, and internal accounting software systems to effectively and accurately carry out all job duties.
- Understand other aspects of accounting and finance sufficiently to act as a backup in areas of the department.
- Stay current on regulatory, and various other requirements impacting areas of service.
- Perform accounting and clerical functions in conformity with GAAP/FASB requirements.
- Work collaboratively and act as a resource for organizational leaders and employees on program financial matters.
- Perform a quality assurance function with each monthly accounting cycle to ensure accounting activity is performed and reported accurately.
- Work closely with finance and other program directors and to ensure appropriate expense allocations to departments, service areas, and grants.
- Ensure timely adherence to all reporting requirements.
- Maintain audit readiness for all records and work with departmental directors as needed for various monitoring visits and review processes.
- Maintain appropriate records to meet record retention requirements.
- Contribute to the Financial Services team by lending assistance as required and cross-training in other aspects of the department to ensure outstanding service.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Maintenance of confidentiality and use of proper discretion
- Solutions-based consultation
- Effective communicator
- Experience and demonstrated proficiency
- Accounting, contract, and grant comprehension
- Relationship management
- Continuous demonstration of behaviors aligned with a posture of servant leadership and our cultural values
This position will not have direct supervisory responsibilities, but the incumbent may serve as a mentor for other positions in the organization.
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as laptop computers, photocopiers, and smartphones.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to perform the essential functions of this job successfully.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus. This would require the ability to lift files, open filing cabinets, and bend or stand on a stool as necessary.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position. Days and hours of work are Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5 p.m. Occasional evening and weekend work may be required as job duties demand.
Limited travel may be expected for this position.
Required Education, Experience, or Eligibility Qualifications
- A bachelor's degree and two to three years of accounting experience, or eight to ten years of experience in the accounting field, or any similar combination of education and experience.
Preferred Education and Experience
- Bachelors degree in accounting or a related field.
- Five to eight years of accounting, grant, compliance, and accounting experience.
Volunteers of America Northern Rockies is committed to equal opportunity for all, without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, veteran status, disability, genetic information, or any other protected characteristics. Volunteers of America Northern Rockies will make reasonable accommodations for known physical or mental limitations of otherwise qualified employees and applicants with disabilities unless the accommodation would impose an undue hardship on the operation of our business. If you are interested in applying for an employment opportunity and feel you need a reasonable accommodation pursuant to the ADA, please contact us at 307-672-0475.
- ID: #49500877
- State: Wyoming Sheridan 82801 Sheridan USA
- City: Sheridan
- Salary: USD TBD TBD
- Job type: Full-time
- Showed: 2023-03-19
- Deadline: 2023-05-12
- Category: Accounting/finance