NETWORK AND SYSTEMS ADMINISTRATOR
Salary: Range 46-48 DOQ ($8,224 - $10,504/month)
Employment Status: Regular, Exempt, Full-Time position
Benefit Package: Regular, Full-Time Employee Benefits
Remote Work: Hybrid; Half of Scheduled Work Time in the Office
Schedule: 4 x 10s or 5 x 8s with Flexible Schedule Options
Reports to: Network and Systems Administration Lead
To Apply: Visit https://www.epud.org/about-us/careers/ to complete the online application and submit the following documents:
Cover letter (Explain why you want to be considered for this position. Please provide details about your past work-related experience to support your qualifications.)
Veterans’ Preference Form, if applicable
Culture and Environment:
Emerald PUD is looking to add a knowledgeable, experienced, and motivated Network and Systems Administrator to our team. This position’s main priority is to maintain Emerald’s IT systems to ensure they are operating securely and reliably, but they will also provide support to end-users. We are looking for someone who can learn our systems quickly and promptly begin to help manage the daily and strategic system administration work.
We offer a robust and competitive benefit package, including exceptional medical coverage. In addition, Emerald covers the cost of the monthly medical premiums for employees and their dependents.
At Emerald PUD, we take great pride in delivering an essential service to our customers, with safety and reliability as our top priorities. As employees, we share a set of core values, which reflect the fundamental reasons we all choose to work here.
We’re motivated to serve others.
We care about the local community.
We improve the lives of those around us.
We're willing to step into other roles.
We adapt quickly.
We’re responsive to the needs of others.
We’re trusted to do what’s right.
We take responsibility for our actions.
We learn from our mistakes.
We do what we say we’re going to do.
We’re always willing to pitch in.
We’re there when others need us.
We never forget the risk in our industry.
We watch out for each other.
We speak up.
The Network and Systems Administrator plays a key role in Emerald’s long-term strategic plan. This position helps support the daily technical operations by ensuring the servers, network, and other IT systems are available, secure, and performing properly. This includes learning about and recommending new technology solutions. These critical functions help Emerald work towards its strategic initiatives while ensuring systems are operating in a secure and efficient manner.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Amount of time working in each function may vary. It is expected that the amount of time spent performing each function will fluctuate as needed for an employee to successfully manage their schedule.
1. Technology Administration and Support- Responsible for selection, configuration, maintenance, and reliable operation of Emerald’s IT systems, which can include quickly responding to network or system outages in the office or remote sites after normal business hours. Prepare, coordinate, and implement business continuity and disaster recovery processes as needed to ensure continued technical operations in a variety of different scenarios. Provide mobile device support to field personnel on a regular basis to ensure the devices and associated apps are effectively facilitating day-to-day work and allowing data flow between field and office, this may include giving training and offering frequent check-in with mobile device users. Provide first tier support in tandem with other IT staff and contractors as needed for a variety of IT issues related to Emerald’s mobile devices, VDI clients, and peripheral equipment such as printers. Work with Emerald’s vendors and contractors as needed to help achieve departmental and organizational goals and projects.
2. Technical Guidance and Project Planning- Research, evaluate, and recommend new technology solutions that will address existing issues, meet business needs and/or support the long-term strategic plan. Assist with decision making and design to ensure the right solutions are selected and the integrations are successful. Thoroughly review and test new applications and systems before rolling out to end users. Provide technical input and guidance on utility projects and create detailed project plans for implementation. Present ideas, views, and project status updates in a clear and logical manner.
3. Communication and Collaboration- Provide exceptional customer service to both internal and external customers to help build Emerald’s brand as a trusted advisor and utility provider of choice. Focus on developing strong working relationships with colleagues in order to gain trust and cooperation. Collaborate with end users and IT Team Members on an ongoing basis to identify opportunities and increase efficiencies. Communicate with vendors and development partners in a professional manner and negotiate with tact.
4. Work Management- Embrace the culture of empowerment by using sound judgment, thoroughly reviewing and analyzing problems, making reasonable recommendations, and developing alternate solutions when necessary. Work independently, take ownership of assignments, and follow through to ensure projects and tasks are completed on time and in a thorough manner. Take initiative to solve problems and explore opportunities to increase efficiencies.
5. Perform other duties as assigned related to the job.
1. Strong understanding of networking concepts and principles of systems administration.
2. Strong understanding of principles of network security.
3. Create work products independently, be self-directed, use sound judgement, and proactively work with others to solve problems.
4. Manage projects in a timely and well-organized manner.
5. Collaborate across departments including with peers, customers, vendors, and contractors.
6. Willing and able to learn new concepts and adopt alternative techniques within the rapidly changing utility industry.
7. Ability to clearly document IT infrastructure, workflows, standard operating procedures, and end user guides.
1. Minimum 3 years of experience in a network and/or systems administration role.
2. Minimum 3 years of experience working with Microsoft Windows Server and related technologies such as Active Directory, DNS, DHCP, and Group Policy.
3. Minimum 3 years experience working with enterprise switches, firewalls, and wireless systems.
4. Minimum 2 years experience working with Microsoft Azure and Microsoft 365 services.
5. Minimum 2 years experience working with VMware vSphere, and VMware Horizon.
6. Experience administering Linux and open source software a plus.
7. Experience with software defined networking a plus.
8. Experience with network security operations such as EDR, IDS, SIEM, monitoring, patch management, and vulnerability management a plus.
9. Experience with scripting and automation a plus.
1. Must have high school diploma or equivalent.
2. Bachelors’ degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, or a similar field is preferred.
3. Microsoft, VMware, and Cisco certifications are a plus.
Working Conditions and Physical Demands:
1. Prolonged periods sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
2. Use of office equipment where some agility and hand-eye coordination is needed.
3. Some physical effort, such as light lifting, carrying, or movement of items up to 25lbs, is needed.
4. Office environment can include shared work spaces and exposure to consistent or frequent noise from employee conversations.
5. Must be willing to work over the regular 40 hour/week schedule, be on an on-call rotation after normal business hours, and be willing to be called out for service in the event of a power outage or other emergency.
Note: This description is intended to represent the key areas of responsibility. It is not meant to be all-inclusive and does not prescribe or restrict the work that may be assigned. Nothing in this description restricts EPUD’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to the job at any time. Job descriptions may occasionally be updated, as necessary, to reflect evolving business needs.